Friday, October 3, 2008

A Must Read


This is only the second book in my life that has touched me to my soul, left the greatest impression upon me that I will never, ever forget. I can't begin to adequately describe to you what this book did to me. I have always known about the pioneers and heard their stories, I have pioneer ancestry from my mom's side of the family who crossed the plains. I have a renewed awe for all the pioneers, especially those in the Martin/Willie Handcart Companies. I had the opportunity to visit Martin's Cove last May. It was a very special place and I could feel a great spirit there. I think from the Visitor's Center at Martin's Cove up to the actual Cove is only a 2 mile walk. I remember that day I had flip flops on and I walked the two miles up and down. My toes had blisters on them and they hurt! After reading this book and imagining what the Saints went through, I wish I'd never complained about a couple of blisters. I wish I had read this book before I went to Martin's Cove. As a Latter-Day Saint I never feel anything but joy at what I am able to do in the Church. I feel the Lord has blessed me so completely I am more than happy to do what he asks of me, keep His commandments, live up to my covenants I have made with Him. What those people suffered to obey what they were asked to do is nothing compared to what I am asked to do. I have always had the "Fire of the Covenant" burn in me, I only hope I can always keep that fire burning and always do what He asks me to do so someday I will have the blessing of dwelling with Him and these faithful Saints.

Devil's Gate

Martin's Cove


On the Trail

Independence Rock

No comments: