Wednesday, January 23, 2008

It's SO cold!



Well, it is about 56 degrees, but I am FREEZING! Now, you would think a Colorado girl would think that was pretty nice, but no, I am so cold! It doesn't help that the sun isn't out either. So on nice cold days like this the perfect thing to eat is beef stew and homemade rolls - yummy! I got this beef stew recipe from a church event about 8 or so years ago. We love it and eat it a lot in the winter. I just thought I would share the recipe.

1 lb stew meat (I like to cut it up into smaller pieces)
1 TBS oil to brown stew meat in
3 cups boiling water
2 beef bouillon cubes
4 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
1 TBS salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp paprika
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp sugar
6 carrots chopped
4 potatoes cubed
1 onion chopped

Brown meat in pot with oil. Stir in water, onion, bouillon cubes, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, salt, pepper, lemon juice, paprika, allspice and sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 1/4 hours or until meat is tender. Keep an eye on it that all the water doesn't evaporate out - that happened to me one time! Stir in potatoes and carrots. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes more or until veggies are tender. Discard bay leaves and enjoy! If you like a more watered down stew, add more water in the beginning, this stew is very thick.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Sounds VERY yummy!! I think you made this for us when we had Sierra and I never got the recipe from you :) Now I'll give it a try!!

Holly said...

Sounds perfect for this time of year. Oh my, I have been freezing, too. I wish we could cut January and February right out of the calendar. I'm a summer girl at heart.