Thursday, February 26, 2009

Envelope system?



Have you ever heard of the envelope system? I hadn't. I read a great book by Dave Ramsey and thought "hmmm, I think I'll try it." For the month of February we made big changes in our budget. We successfully lived on less than $200 for groceries for the entire month of February. We started using cash for everything (except rent & utilities). The cash gets divided up into envelopes. I am still perfecting my system, but I can tell you it works! I go to the bank on payday and get the cash out we need to live for those two weeks, then the cash gets distributed into the envelopes. When the cash is gone, there is no other way to spend any money. We don't carry a credit card (we don't even have one anymore) or debit card around ever. The debit card only exists for times when we will have to be travelling and booking hotels/airfare. By doing all this we had a very large surplus at the end of this month. Try it!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Glad it's working for you :) We were counseled before we got married to do some type of system like this. The one difference was that the checking account was also for groceries. One thing that has really helped us it to have a "limit" as to the amount that is actually in our checking...so it matches our budget. The rest is all in savings. It definitely helps! :)

KC and DL said...

That sounds cool. I've wanted to try it. The thought of lugging all the kids in to buy gas is too much though. Do you do that? I really need to take some financial lessons from you. You do an amazing job!

Holly said...

Hi Melissa!

Your quilt is beautiful and I love the borders on it, too. You have a good eye for color.

I love that you post your menus. Gives me ideas on what to cook. Since the kids left home I hardly cook anymore.

The envelope system sounds like a good idea. I need to do *something* about finances to help make things stretch so this gives me something to think about. You inspire me :)

Aceves Family said...

I have to say when ever we have been in a rut...the envelopes work!!! It is the only budget that has ever actually worked for us...when it is gone it is gone!!! Glad it works for ya!!!

Vivid Vinyl said...

You'll have to explain this one too me!

The Curtis Clan said...

okay you crack me up and make me feel guilty all in one breath!

Please don't share any of this info with my husband! Love you.