Saturday, November 15, 2008

Space Shuttle Endeavour Launch

NASA launched the Endeavour last night - and we were there to see it! It was SO amazing! I can't even begin to describe how cool it was. Some of TJ's classmates got there before we did and saved us front row seats on the beach while we grabbed some $5 pizzas. I'm not sure where else you can sit on the beach at 8pm in 80 degree weather on November 14, and watch a space shuttle launch!! I can't help but think how grateful I am that TJ is in the NAVY and we are having so many amazing opportunities to see different parts of the country. It's also because of the above mentioned temperature on November 14, at 8pm, with 97% humidity that we are probably moving to Washington! It doesn't even cool off at night... Ok, here are the pictures!

The pizza


It was total darkness, but there was a gorgeous full moon out. Thank goodness we got a new camera within the last month because our old camera would have never been able to do this! I LOVE my new Nikon D40! So, obviously the moon is on the left. Then in the middle of all the smaller lights across the water you can see the launch pad.

It was really windy!

Where we were sitting we were about 12 miles away.

Blast off!

Everyone was clapping and cheering. There was a very large crowd.

It all happened so fast! This is about when we started to hear the booming sound.

I LOVE this picture. Not too long after this is when the rocket boosters dropped off.

9 comments:

Megan said...

How Cool! That would be a neat experience, even with the heat and humidity

Aceves Family said...

okay I think that is the coolest thing ever!! I would love to watch a launch...maybe those days when they actually showed it on tv while we were in school. I have just always been into NASA. Yes, I am a nerd, but I think that is the chance of a lifetime!!

Dee Dee said...

That's amazing. What an amazing experience to actually watch it!!

Kendra said...

That is so awesome!!! I'm glad you guys got to go. But what's with this Washington talk, huh? :(

Jenn said...

How awesome!! JR saw this on TV and was telling Dave how cool it was to see...can't wait to tell him Tyler saw in person.

Holly said...

What a great experience. Lucky yous :)

Patty said...

I love it! You sure are lucky to have been able to experience this; we tried to attend a launch once but it was around the time of the Challenger accident and all flights were cancelled. However, we did get to tour the center and see quit a bit.

The Curtis Clan said...

That is cool. I hope to see one some day as well. Washington? Closer to home and cooler weather. We'll have to get together before you leave though. I'm thinking of maybe coming down in April. I have you, Robyn and a good friend from Italy in Tampa. Just a thought......

KC and DL said...

so cool!