Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday Night Tradition

It's a tradition in our house that I make pizza every (most) Friday night. I have been making this homemade pizza since middle school - I even read a journal entry from high school saying "mom is going out of town this weekend, so I get to make pizza for dinner - yah!" Yes, I guess I had a sorry personal life - just kidding, I have just always liked to cook! Ok, so I am pretty sure I haven't posted this before, and if I have - oh well. Here is our homemade pizza recipe, enjoy and happy Friday!!

1 TBS yeast 1 cup hot water
1 tsp sugar 1 tsp salt
5 TBS shortening 2 - 2 1/2 cups flour

Now, add the water to your yeast and stir. Add the sugar and salt, stir. Add the shortening (I have found that the butter flavored Crisco makes this crust rock - nice and flaky!). Add your flour. Now, I used to always just use 2 cups flour, however, there is something different about Jacksonville that I have to now add a lot more flour. I don't measure it, so I'm not really sure how much flour to use - just add flour until it's not sticky anymore. Let that dough sit for 15 minutes in a warm place.


Ok, then spread your dough out on your pizza stone (if you don't have a pizza stone...I don't know how you are surviving). Spread Ragu pizza sauce over your dough (TJ insists on Ragu pizza sauce), add your toppings and then your cheese - you must use block cheese you shred on your own, it melts better and tastes better too. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes - the times are always different in every house I have lived in, so you will just have to figure that out on your own too. Also, I have used 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup white flour and the crust still turns out really good. Now please excuse me, we will be enjoying our pizza night.

4 comments:

Aceves Family said...

Cute, thanks for sharing!! I think we might be having our own pizza night instead of heading to Costco pizza every week. My kids will probably love this more!! There is something about making it yourself that tastes better even if it really doesn't turn out the best!!hee hee hee We will give it a try!!

Dee Dee said...

It looks delicious! Yummmmm. Can you come over and cook some for us? I'm soooo not good in the kitchen.

Patty said...

Yum, I’m hungry!

I have made homemade pizza for years and when my son got old enough to want to cook he began making the pizza for me. It’s so nice having him do the work!

By the way, how do you use a pizza stone? I have one, picked it up used for $1, but haven’t tried it yet. Perhaps you could blog about how to use it.

TheGefrom5 said...

Melissa, that looks soooo good! We Love pizza and looks just like how I like it. Thank you for sharing your secret recipe! :)

I can't beleive how much you are saving witht he food! Very cool! Maybe I will get my tush in gear and try that! :)