Monday, January 11, 2010

Winter, blankets and soup

I've said it before, I'll say it again. I HATE being hot, hot weather, and humidity. I LOVE being cold - the colder the better. I wish I could live in Antarctica. My poor Floridian kiddos however, aren't doing so well in our "freakish" cold weather - as one news station puts it. It is FREEZING, literally. I don't think we have gotten over 40 degrees in almost 2 weeks now. It's kinda crazy! So my kids are living in their blankets and warm pj's and drinking lots of hot cocoa. Anything we have to read for school, we snuggle up in my bed under the covers. I wish it could last forever. Oh, and Brena said this morning "I wish there were no trees so it would snow all day." Do you ever wonder how their little brains think, and why they say the things they do? I sure do.

Because of our cold weather, I am wanting to eat lots of soup. I was reading a friend's blog the other day and she had posted they were eating this broccoli cheese soup in bread bowls from this site. I had to try it, it looked SO good. Let me tell you, holy cow - it's not just good - it's awesome!

The kids thought so too:

I do not have picky eaters - they will eat whatever is put in front of them. But I got a hug from Brena with a "thank you for making this Mommy." Now that means it's really good!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to try the bread bowls, that looks SO yummy. Especially w/ this "freezing" weather!! Thanks for posting the recipe. :-)

Jenn said...

Seriously, this is how JR looks every morning! What have we done to our kids raising them in WARM weather states? :) Glad the bread bowls were delicious for you and the kids!!!

Astorga Crew said...

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your comment on my blog. It is on the 'My Kitchen Cafe' blog. Did you find it? And wasn't this broccoli soup awesome. Your bread bowl looks way better than mine ever do. You got talent!

Adrienne said...

Oh man! Gorgeous bread bowls. I agree with Astorga, you got talent. Hey, Amelia wants you to invite her to your blog. She asked you on my blog post about you lol.

Adrienne said...

Wait, so what's the website for the recipe?

Prescott family said...

Yum!! Those bread bowl & soup look so good!! I'm going hunting for that blog (I'm guessing maybe Jenn's?). If not you will have to post the receipe! Where do you find bread like that anyway??
Andrea

Unknown said...

YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

I need to try to make those bread bowls too!

Deborah said...

I love the cold too. I love the kind of foods to eat in the cold weather and I love baking and making my house warm and smell so good. Soups and hot chocolate are the best. Wish it was cold enough here to do the same thing you're doing. Looks like so much fun.

Deborah said...

I just made the cheese brocolli soup the other day for my family and it is really good! Thanks for posting this!

Adrienne said...

Yeah I made this too. Except it was potato soup. great idea, thanks