Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New chapter in our life

If you are on goodreads with me, this probably won't come as any surprise. However, if you had told me just 1 year ago I would be homeschooling - I would have thought you were nuts! I have never even considered homeschooling - I thought it was weird (sorry!). Almost a year ago I started talking to a Mom at Brena's ballet class. She is a Mom of 4 and homeschools them all. I couldn't get the things that we talked about out of my head. I thought about it ALL the time. I thought I wanted to homeschool, but I didn't know where to start. And, I was too scared. Scared I didn't have enough patience, scared I wouldn't be able to teach my kids everything they needed to know. Scared to lose my new found Independence with both of them in school now. Well, after months of promptings to homeschool (and a little boy who begged everyday to homeschool), I started reading some books. I read The First Year of Homeschooling Your Child by Linda Dobson. It was awesome. I really, really connected with things she said. One thing I will never forget reading in there is that Public School takes time away from the Family. The other book that was recommended to me by a good friend who homeschools was The Well-Trained Mind by Susan Wise and Jessie Wise. This is what pushed me over the edge. I thought I would start to homeschool next year. The last day before Christmas Break, I was in Tyler's classroom volunteering. I talked to his teacher, crying the entire time, and told her Tyler wouldn't be coming back after Christmas. She was so supportive! She thought it was a wonderful idea and even mentioned she wishes she could homeschool her own daughter. That really made me feel better - but I already knew I was doing the right thing. So, here we are. It's day 2 and we are having a blast. There are many, many reasons I have chosen to do this. One, I have never felt comfortable with the Government running my child's education - that's probably the number one reason. But a very close second would be that I don't get to see my family much anymore. With homeschooling we can go wherever we want, whenever we want - and that's what I'm really looking forward to. Brenalee is still in preschool, and she will finish this year up there. But next year I will have them both home with me. I'm so excited!