Sunday, August 23, 2009

Peaches!!

It was one of the best times to be at my parents' house. The peaches were ready! My parents have a large orchard on the back part of their property and we got all the peaches we wanted. The kids were in heaven. I have given up trying to ever buy peaches anywhere else we have ever lived because they are never as good as Colorado peaches. It's very disappointing to bite into a peach, expecting it to taste as good as you think it should, and they never do.

Kim was lucky, she gets to can her peaches and take them home. I couldn't do that. So, I got the dried peaches and the peach leather (which I forgot to take! Can you mail them Dad, please??). This is the 2nd kitchen in my parents' house, it is a dedicated canning kitchen because they have so much fruit from the orchard. And my mom would get mad when my dad was making a mess with all the fruit stuff in her kitchen.

This was the after picture, because I forgot to take a before picture. This is the canning kitchen fridge, it was totally stuffed to the gills with peaches when we started that night. After we finished, there were just a few peaches left. But, there are plenty more peach trees ripening in the orchard, so there will be lots more soon.

We canned, dried, pureed...


My Dad is so silly...

Some of the orchard.

The pears will be ready soon...I wish everything could be ready at the same time so I could have had some!

Gotta use a ladder to get to the top!

Look at those peach beauties!!!

The apples will be ready in a month or two, missed out on those too!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! How lucky you are... having your parents have all those yummy fruit! Is that where you grew up?

The McNeil Family said...

they sure look yummy. YOu are very lucky that your parents have all those trees. My kids love fruit they would be in heaven with all those fruit trees

Jenn said...

Yummy, yummy!!!!! :)

Adrienne said...

I remember that orchard. Wow those look delicious. I know what you mean about peaches never tasting right again. I just bought some here in Texas (73 cents/pound). I'm just planning on making pies or cobbler out of them. Sigh.

Patty said...

I would love to have a second kitchen for my canning; it would make things a lot easier!
Fresh peaches are truly better tasting than peaches from the store. We didn’t get fresh peaches this year due to a late freeze.

Kendra said...

I am jealous of so much in that one post! A canning kitchen?! Are you kidding me? I'm definitely banking that in my brain for my future house.

We got some Michigan peaches yesterday for my mother-in-law to can. Not so good, in my opinion. Too tart. All we have is apples in our "orchard" (which is really only about 8-10 trees :)

Miss you!