Saturday, August 29, 2009

Bedtime Stories

It's hard not having a Daddy around. One of the things we have done that the kids love is bedtime stories. TJ calls at bedtime and I put the phone on speaker and he tells stories to the kids. They are usually Bakugan Princess stories. Tyler likes Bakugans and Brena likes princesses - so TJ combines the two for some pretty hilarious stories. It helps the kids a lot to have Daddy tell them stories. This will only work for the next few months. Once TJ deploys in late November/early December, we will only receive 2 phone calls a week. And, who knows what time they will be coming at. I am thinking of doing something like video recording or tape recording TJ telling stories, then we can watch or listen to him still, even if it's not "real time."

Listening to Daddy's stories. See the phone in the middle of the picture, on top of the garage toy?

I always catch Brena sneaking out of bed wanting to "hold Daddy." (the phone)
Brena has her own room, but she won't sleep in there anymore. She has to sleep with Tyler.

Another thing we did was take photos of the kids with TJ and press them onto pillow cases with special transfer paper. You can kind of see Brena's on her bed. The kids really like that too. I got that idea from my friend Kate - thanks Kate!

5 comments:

Deborah said...

You are a great mom. I loved reading that.

The McNeil Family said...

What a special moment for your kids. I am sure they will always remember this. How sweet that Breana wants to hold daddy

Laura said...

Those are great ideas!! I'm already trying to brainstorm ideas like that for Grant when Levi leaves!! Do you guys have webcams- those are the greatest inventions! I talk to my family in KS and Grant gets to see his grandparents and cousins everday!!

Unknown said...

that is cute- that would be so hard! I like the pillow cas idea too!

Vivid Vinyl said...

That's so sweet.