Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Ramblings

This post is going to be lots of me rambling on and on. I have had a few things on my mind lately and I couldn't sleep last night thinking of them all, so I figured it might help me if I write it all out, deep breath, here goes. I have finally decided I have a problem with commitment (no, not like marriage) but with things that have to be done. Let me explain - Tyler has Piano on Monday nights, I have piano on Tuesday nights, I have YW every Wednesday night, Thursday night is either: YW Camp meetings, visiting teaching, girls night out, or book club (not every Thursday, but between those things, every Thursday night is usually taken up). So that leaves me with a free Friday night and Saturday, and we usually get a babysitter and go on dates on either Friday or Saturday - so there really is never a free night. We also have had in the past Tyler's soccer and now I was going to start T-ball for Tyler. Ok, I had a little break-down, and yes, I realize I only have two children, one of whom is not even involved in any extracurricular activities yet. I don't know how moms of more than two do it with all of the children involved in something - aaaawwwww!!!!!!! SO, I don't know if this is a good thing or not, we will see. I stopped Tyler's piano lessons (it was like pulling teeth to get him to sit at the piano and I have been pulling his teeth since September of last year!) although I really, really didn't want to - I want him to love playing the piano - it runs in the genes, his Nana F. is a very good pianist, his Gigi is is great pianist (not to mention all of his Landes cousins are all music protégés), but I know he got it from me, I remember sitting at the piano and crying because I had to practice and go to lessons. Finally my mom let me quit and here I am again taking piano every week and paying for lessons so I can learn to play the piano...sigh... So that leaves Monday nights free - very good- right?? Well I still wanted more. So I am now paying a girl in my ward to watch Brena every Thursday morning so I can go to piano lessons while Tyler is at preschool and Brena is at playtime. So that freed up Tuesday evenings, I am feeling SO much better at this point! Wednesday nights are not going to change anytime soon, being the YW pres I HAVE to be there every Wed. night. Thursday nights are only changing a little - I need some time to myself to enjoy being by myself so I will keep the girls night out once a month on the schedule. I have no choice about the camp meetings or the v.t. either, but camp meetings will end after June when we go to camp. So I will have to can the book nights for a little while. I am feeling oh so much better! And, we are not playing T-ball. I can't tell you how much better I am feeling about everything. We can go to the library and I don't have to worry about hurrying home, we can go to the park and not worry about hurrying home. If you read through all of that, thanks for hearing me out :) I feel much better and I am so happy it is Tuesday night, nothing to do but sit and watch The Biggest Loser and eat ice cream!!!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Sometimes you really don't realize how busy you are until you sit down and take a break for awhile. We also chose not to put JR in t-ball this year...it's been so nice to have free nights and no Saturday games. Good luck...I really hope life "slows" down a bit so you can enjoy it :) I really keep toying w/ the idea of stopping being a demo but then I remember how much "relaxation" it actually brings me...as well as sanity and the socialization that I need. So I'm definitely going to be a demo as long as my customers allow me to be :)

Adrienne said...

Wow congratulations Melissa! I think those decisions will really bless your family. Not every kid has to play piano. As a piano teacher I think you made a wise decision. And I had to laugh about the eating ice cream while watching "the biggest loser."

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your "ramblings"... I think that it is good to write things down to actually see how it all plays out on paper. I think that you chose a wise decision with your kids. You know, I've heard this saying: "When a old man dies he NEVER says I wish that I would have been at work more." People always say- I wish I would have spent more time with my family, friends, etc. You have to do what works for you and your family! :)

Prescott family said...

Hi Melissa,
I hope you don't mind I found your blog! It is so fun to hear what you are up to sooo far away. I'm glad you are doing well. I miss you here though!
I had to leave a comment on your "ramblings" - reading this made me so happy that my kids were never on an organized sport team... not only is it stressful on the kids but on the parents as well. I just couldn't commit to all the practices & games. My kids turned out just fine - they know how to play just about any sport, they seem to be normal teenage boys & never have I heard them say... "I wish I would have played t-ball or even baseball". They are fine with their lives because it is what they know. Your kids will grow up feeling fulfilled as long as you spend time with them & they know they are loved. They don't need piano or t-ball to tell them that! :o)

Amelia Murdock said...

that's so great you are taking piano!! I teach a bunch of super rich kids out here in Manhattan and totally understand where you are coming from. I also teach a few mothers and they absolutely love it. They are the greatest to teach because they appreciate it so much.
Love seeing your blog!

Holly said...

Wow, good for you for sorting that out. It's great that you are getting some alone time and AWESOME that you have dates every week. Two very important things.

Who do you hope wins Biggest Loser Couples? I'm hoping Ali does but I like all the finalists so however it plays out I'll be happy.