Monday, February 11, 2008

Looks like strep throat, acts like strep throat, must be strep throat

Well, it wasn't. That is good and bad. Tyler threw up last night (it was awful!) and all day yesterday just laid on the couch. He had a fever this morning of 102. He wouldn't eat, he said his throat hurt, he said all day yesterday and today that he had a headache. I called my sister, the nurse, and she said it sounded like strep throat. Oh, and he had a bunch of white stuff on the back of his throat. I called to get an appointment, no appointments until Wednesday they said, but the guy told me not to wait till then to get him in today to the ER, he said don't be scared of the ER, it is really good and fast - RIGHT!! I was in the ER for 5 HOURS!! Tyler just slept on a chair, but Brena was a different story, running around like a lunatic, opening the fire extinguisher box, opening the door to set of the alarm, I was ready to strangle her. I tried to hold her down at one point and she let out a very high glass breaking scream and pinched my arm at the same time, I have a lovely bruise from that. I am still mad at her, but you can't really blame the kid for sitting around in a small area for 3 hours. I finally got a hold of TJ and he came to my rescue and picked Brena up and took her home. I stayed with Tyler. We finally got back into a room after being in the waiting room for 3 hours. We sat in the ER room for 2 hours before anyone came in. The rapid test for strep was negative?????!!! I couldn't believe it. They handed me a prescription for motrin and tylenol and sent me home. I threw it in the trash, no way was I going over to the pharmacy and waiting another 1 1/2 hours for a motrin and tylenol prescription, I can get my own thank you very much! In one way I am obviously very relieved he didn't have strep, but on the other hand I wasted 6 hours of my day driving and sitting at the ER for nothing, except I guess the peace of mind that Tyler is ok. And the doctor saw the white stuff on his throat too. So, I did not feel like cooking dinner after I got home from all of that, so we had pancakes. I LOVE wheat pancakes and this is the best recipe I have found. We eat it a lot, well the kids and I do, TJ isn't much on pancakes for dinner. We had homemade strawberry jam with them - yummy!

Here is the recipe for The Best Wheat Pancakes Ever:

Sift 1 1/4 cups freshly ground white wheat flour with 3 tsp baking powder, 3 TBS brown sugar and 3/4 tsp salt.

In separate mixing bowl beat 3 egg yolks with 1 1/4 cups milk and 3 TBS oil

In separate bowl beat your 3 egg whites until stiff.

Add your egg yolk mixture to your flour mix and stir. Add your fluffy egg whites to the mix and stir until blended. Drop on hot griddle and enjoy! It is best if you do beat your egg whites separate, so take the little bit of extra time to do this and you will have nice and fluffy pancakes.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Sick kids is absolutely no fun!!! Especially when you think they have something but then they don't. That's so hard to "waste" time like that and still not have a "real" diagnosis.

*J*E*N* said...

Oh what a nightmare! I am so mad that doctor said it sounded like strep but than wouldn't let you in, that is why they keep sick hours open!!!!!