Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I did it!!!!!!

$203.61! That is what I spent on groceries for January! I thought I could, but wow, I can't believe I really, really did it! Looking back in my Quicken reports, I have spent anywhere from $500-$800 a month on food in any given month in 2008. I am definitely going to keep this $50/week thing up! I was talking to my friend last night about the $50/week grocery budget and I think the one thing that we don't buy as much as we used to is pre-packaged snacks, crackers, etc. She wanted to know what we eat for snacks. With all the couponing, I have found we always have tons of cheap yogurt, so the kids get lots of yogurt. And I have had really good coupons for string cheese, so there's always lots of that too. I also go searching out packaged ripe bananas at .25cents a pound and can usually find 4 pounds of bananas for $1, so then I will make smoothies or muffins with them, and those are good for snacks too. I will still get fruit snacks if they are .28 cents a box like they were a few weeks ago ;-)

The only other thing in my life that I can't really budget is our (TJ's) eating out habit. I don't eat out, but TJ does. There is absolutely no possible way to not have him eat out. Half the time he doesn't even know when he's working which makes things hard. Then, there isn't a real place to take a lunch and put it in a fridge or anything like that. So, he has been allotted $2/day for lunch :) He gets his little envelope with his $ for the week, then if he doesn't end up working that day, or he's at home and eats lunch, the money just stays in the envelope. Then his lunch fund will grow because he doesn't work every day, but he's still getting his $2. So if there's a day he needs to spend more than $2 it will work out. TJ is still looking at me like I'm crazy, but hopefully he'll appreciate all my hard work someday!

9 comments:

Jenn said...

AWESOME!! Is your food storage considered part of your "monthly" grocery bill?

Unknown said...

No. I think that's why I can stay at $200. We are more than likely moving to Hawaii in the summer. So, there's a lot of things we can't take - food being a big part of it. So as of right now, I am not adding anything to our food storage.

Unknown said...

And, I forgot too, I can't add any more weight to what our household weight is.

Patty said...

Wow, what a hug difference in your monthly spending!

Hawaii? Lucky you!

Kendra said...

Melissa, that's just amazing! I love that you keep track of it all in QuickBooks. So smart. Who cares if TJ looks at you funny. You spent $206 this month!!! Amazing! I totally failed (both in my budget and in keeping track).

Vivid Vinyl said...

I'm surprised TJ agreed to that! Neal would never agree to $2/day - I'm luck with $20-$30 a week.

Congrats on the food budget! Keep it up!

Holly said...

You definately are looking well to the ways of your household. I had to laugh about TJ giving you a crazy look about all this budgeting and his food allowance but he will appreciate how you are looking out for the family. I wish I were as disciplined and motivated to save money. What's this I hear about you going to Hawaii and not Whidbey?

Adrienne said...

Congratulations! I thought I was doing well with $450 a month (including diapers). Apparently I need to check out this coupon thing. I wish there were coupons for fruits and vegetables, those are at least 30% of my grocery bill.

The Curtis Clan said...

Okay Melissa you are making me feel guilty. You need to send me a long email and explain to me in detail your coupon strategies (I am a coupon virgin - so use simple, easy to understand words)!