Wednesday, June 18, 2014

5th Grade Promotion Ceremony...I cried my eyes out

Tyler has officially finished elementary school.  He will move on up to middle school in August.  I didn't think this would affect me that much.  But, I couldn't stop crying.  The ceremony was at 6:30pm in the gym and there were lots of awards given out.  Tyler got awards for the Virginia Reader's Choice (reading 5 of the VA Reader's Choice books), Excellent Attendance (not missing more than 3 days of school), and the Principal's Award.  When they started reading about the Principal's Award, I was thinking that sounds like a nice kid.  They didn't say if it was a boy or girl.  Then as they kept reading, I just started crying.  I knew it was Tyler they were describing.  I was so incredibly proud of him.  He is such a hard worker, and all around good kid.  He doesn't get the best grades, but he tries his heart out.  His teacher told me and some other staff at a meeting a few weeks ago "In my 20+ years of teaching, I've never had a student that has tried as hard as Tyler."  That made me feel so good, and sad at the same time.  He tries and tries and everyone knows he is so smart, but he has such a difficult time with tests and learning.  He does get mostly A's, B's and rarely some C's.  But, as his teacher said, he tries way to hard for those grades.  We aren't really sure what the problem is.  He's been tested, and tested, and tested.  There is nothing they can find - except they say he is above average on all the scoring and tests.  Which just makes no sense.  I'm so scared for what will happen in middle school because I do not think that the teachers there will be able to/want to care for him and spend as much time with him as his elementary school teachers have. 

The 5th grade at Gilbert Linkous Elementary School

Tyler receiving his awards


Tyler, Campbell, Nick and Brooklyn.  Campbell lives right around the corner from us and has been coming over and playing and swimming since we moved here.  She is a fun girl and I'm glad her and Tyler are good friends.  Nick is another one of Tyler's good friends.  These 3 spend a lot of time playing together and I hope that stays the same for next year!

 Mrs. Henderson, my absolute favorite teacher ever.  She is amazing.  I can't even begin to describe how much she cares for Tyler and all the extra work she put in for him!  We LOVE her!!

 This picture made me laugh so hard!  Nick telling Tyler to put a smile on his face!
 And, the Principal's Award.  How lucky I am to have this caring boy!
At the end of the ceremony, they had a slide show of pictures the parents had sent in of the kids when they were little.  It was so cute!  I didn't even know half the kids and I was just crying my eyes out!  What a wonderful experience we have had here at this school.  I hope middle school is just as good.
This is the picture we sent in for the slide show.
Congrats buddy on all your hard work!  Keep it up!  We love you!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Congrats to Tyler! What an awesome award and one that speaks so highly of your whole family. I was so glad JR's promotion was outside so it was okay to keep my sunglasses on the while ceremony. I hate that they grow up so fast!!!!!:-(