Saturday, April 5, 2014

BodyPump Groundworks

A couple other instructors from the gym and I decided to attend a Les Mills Groundworks training for BodyPump.  Laurie and I presented in BodyPump and Jon presented in BodyStep.  The day started early, we had about an hour drive ahead of us.  Check-in was at 8:30, and we wanted to be there in plenty of time.  It was held at the Roanoke Athletic Club - it was huge!  Our little gym in Blacksburg is so small.  We walked into the room and all the steps were already set up for us.  I was impressed there was a table off to the side with snacks!  Cliff Bars, bananas, trail mix, waters, and granola bars.  I've only been to one Les Mills training before, and there were no snacks there.  So, this was a nice surprise!  The day started off with BodyPump. We did the express class with the master trainer.  He was amazing of course.  Then we spent a lot of time looking in the mirror while he told us what position we were to be perfecting.  Lots of practice on squat position, dead rows, bicep rows, and more.  It was great to go through all of that again with a master trainer!  Then the presentations started.  There were 5 of us presenting in BodyPump.  I was last.  I did BP89 squats.  We knew from signing up that we would not teach the entire track, and that the feedback was given in front of everyone.  So you had to be ok with that if you wanted to present.  I didn't mind - I wanted feedback!  I need to work on my coaching layers.  I have been spending hours on that this last week trying to script and put things where they need to be.  It's tough!  After BodyPump we did BodyStep.  I am not certified in that, so I just took the master class and then sat out the rest of it.  After that we had a mini lesson on how to become better instructors.  It was great, I learned a lot.  My favorite part was the description of how when we came in this morning, we didn't know we were doing things wrong, now we were aware that we were and it might sting a bit.  I guess I feel kind of like I'm going through some growing pains with my instructing.  I know now what to practice on to be better, but it's stings a little.  It was nice to know that everyone had things to work on!  After the lesson, it was BodyAttack time.  The trainer for attack was amazing!  I wish we had Attack at our gym.  I am not certified to teach it either, so I sat out after the master class.  Last class of the day was BodyJam.  Now, I am NO dancer.  I have no rhythm, at all.  I was planning on just sitting this entire thing out.  But, the trainer wouldn't allow that - oh no!  He made me get up and participate.  Ugh, I hated the entire thing.  I hid in the back and looked like a complete idiot.  Oh well.  It was a great day.  I wish there were more trainings to attend!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That sounds fun and you look GREAT! Keep it up!