Saturday, July 9, 2011

Hike

On a whim Saturday afternoon I decided I wanted to go hike Hanging Lake.  It's about 1 1/2 hours from my parents house in Glenwood Canyon.  Luckily my sister and mom are adventurous enough to go along with my last minute whims! 

It is a tough hike - do you see the caution in red?  It was tough.  It was 1.2 (or 1.4?) miles straight up and then back down.  I think it took us about 1 1/2 hours to get up to the top, then only 1 hour to get back down.  The scenery was breathtaking!  I love those mountains!  So beautiful.

The Colorado River runs right through the canyon as you can see in this picture below.


 The start of the trail - we are excited to get going!  It had just rained so it was muddy.  The kids were filthy and we adults were pretty muddy too.

 This is what the trail was like - climbing up big boulders 99% of the way.

 Tyler was a little slower than the girls - those 3 were way ahead of us most the time. 
 At the top - right before we went to the lake - amazing.
 Hanging Lake.
 The water is such a gorgeous blue/green color!  You could see right to the bottom it was so crystal clear.



 Mom and Steph taking a break.

 On the way back down - a cute little cabin.

What a great family hike!  Very tough, but worth it!

No comments: