Wednesday, November 18, 2009

How do you say good bye?


It took me awhile before I felt like I was strong enough to post this. This picture was taken just hours before TJ left on October 21. The last time we knew we would see him. This deployment has been different for me for a number of reasons. The main one is we now have kids, whereas before - we didn't. This deployment is also different because I didn't know until very recently when TJ was actually leaving or where he was even going. When he deployed on a ship, we always knew when it would be and pretty much where he would be going. This time I dropped him off at the airport instead of the ship. And, let's not forget that he hasn't even lived with us since June 4. The rest of it is pretty much the same story.

The scene at the airport wasn't pretty. I could not let go of him. I was not just crying, I was bawling. I kept wanting just one more hug, one more kiss. Finally he had to walk away or risk missing his flight. I could not drive away from the airport for about 5 minutes. I had to get myself under control to drive, plus I couldn't even see to drive anyway.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when he calls and tells me to come to Maine for the weekend. I wanted to go, I really, really wanted to go. But, I can't describe the emotional toll these good byes take on me. Because I cannot stop my crying, it eventually leads up to me having a very massive headache and will sometimes turn into a migraine. I just kept thinking, I cannot go through another goodbye. But, I did it and I am so glad I did. I managed to have a wonderful weekend and just enjoy the 3 days I had with him, and not cry until we got to the airport.

Before when people would thank us for his/our military service I would kind of feel bad because we weren't away from each other, TJ wasn't deployed and hadn't been deployed in a very long time. But, now when people thank me, I actually feel like we are doing something to deserve their thanks. And, I appreciate people's kindness and thoughtfulness in thanking us as well. Just yesterday some guy thanked me for what we do, then he turned to Brena and said "and thank you for letting your Daddy be in the NAVY." I am very, very proud to be this guy's Navy Wife. And very proud of him and all he is doing for our Country.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really don't think many people understand the way a military family's life is. I had a career Navy Uncle and he met his wife in the Navy. When they had a son, my Uncle had been in his 20 years so he retired to take care of his son so his wife could stay enlisted. They were mentioned by George Bush (Sr) at one of his Persian Gulf speeches.

It is such an honorable profession and you and your families deserve our thanks because without you and your families, we wouldn't be enjoying the lives we have here in our country.

Jenn said...

Tears were rolling down my face as soon as I saw the title and the sweet pic of the kids w/ TJ...so you can only imagine how I was when I actually read your post. Love you guys!

Unknown said...

I'm with Jenn on this post!
My heart does go out to you and your family. I hope you and your family the best!
Much love!

Megan said...

I was crying along with you on that post. I can not imagine how hard that was. Just remember each new day is a day closer to him coming back home. Big hugs to you and the kids to remain strong and know that we thank him and all other military personel and their families for the sacrifices they take on for our country.

Prescott family said...

Wow Melissa! I don't know how you do it. My husband leaves for a week or two at a time & I am a mess. Good luck to you & thank you for the sacrafices you all make so that he can protect our country.

Dee Dee asked me if you could add her to your blog - she forgot to post her email address at the time & said it was too late now. Her email is dprescotts5@cox.net

Hang strong while TJ is away & remember you have a lot of people that love you guys - so anytime you need a good cry or a friend to talk to call one of us!!
Andrea