Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Grandpa Whiting


Last Monday I got a call from my family. My Grandpa Whiting had passed away in his sleep sometime early Monday morning. This is my first grandparent to pass away and it was really, really hard on me. I grew up with my grandparents all around me. We were with my grandparents a lot. They live on a great ranch and it was so fun to go out there and play. The last time I got to see my Grandpa was last August when I was here visiting. I am so sad and I am still having a hard time believing he is gone. It just doesn't seem fair he was only 75 years old, we should have had more time with him here. I had to do lots of juggling to get my flights changed so I could make it to the funeral, but it was worth it. We had the funeral on Saturday and that was the hardest thing I have ever done. I loved my Grandpa very, very much. I know that I will see him again, but being without him now is what's hard. I am so grateful for the knowledge I have of families being forever, but it still hurts. I am the 4th oldest of the 38 grandchildren (I thought there were more of us than that!!). He was very active in church and politics. The local paper did a story on him, but so did the Denver Post! We all thought Grandpa would get a chuckle out of that. All of my pictures of him are at home on my computer, so I will have to add more pictures of him when I get back. Here are the stories if you want to read them:
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_9219598
http://www.gjsentinel.com/news/content/news/stories/2008/05/05/050608_1b_Whiting_obit.html

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Hope the travel went well. I've been thinking about you all week. ((Hugs)) Sadly, I can't really tell you when it will feel "real" and that you'll really believe he's gone. Hang in there!

*J*E*N* said...

Oh Melissa-I am so sorry. His memory will live on with you and your family and you will see him again!

Holly said...

Those articles are a large, righ, fitting tribute to a great man. His influence lives on in his descendents.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that. Those aren't fun things to go through. Just remember that he just finished the "test" sooner than the rest of us. Plus, do you know what is really great?!?! I've read in books written by Prophets that they worry about us more on the other side then down here in Earth. So- Just remember he worries about you and loves you even more now then he probably did on this Earth. I think that is always comforting! Love ya!

Prescott family said...

Melissa~ I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. He sounds like he was awesome from those articles. You were lucky to have such a great guy as your grandpa. In spite of that, I hope you are having a good time with your family.

Katie said...

I'm so sorry melissa. We are very blessed to know the things we do but it still really hurts. I'm think ing about you and your family.