Friday, October 19, 2012

Tyler's Weather Field Trip

The 4th grade went on a field trip to the news station in Roanoke.  I got lucky and got to go again.  I like that I've been able to go on all the field trips for the last few years.  I need to enjoy that now, because in a few months, I won't be going anymore!  The news station had all kinds of different stations set up talking about how different people and business use weather.  We also got to go into the studio where they film the news, and weather.  I never knew that the weather wasn't on a board behind the people like it shows on TV.  The wall was a bright green, and it just looks like the weather is behind the forecasters - it's actually on computer monitors way over off to the side.  Very interesting.

 Looking at the glider - no engine!  I don't know if I would be brave enough to go flying in that!  And, you only have to be 12 to fly it!!  IN THE AIR!!!  Crazy...
 The hot air balloon.  The kids loved climbing in the basket and hearing about this.

 The green wall weather demonstration.  So, you of course don't see the green wall on TV - you just see the weather map.  So, if you were to stand in front of that green wall with a green shirt on, the only thing that would be visible would be your head and arms or whatever wasn't covered in green.  It was really cool.
 The kids doing the weather.

 The kite station.  They had some really cool kites there.
 And, the big bulldozers and other equipment they use to get snow off the roads...brrr, I don't even want to think about that!

No comments: