Monday, July 29, 2013

Vacation - Mount Rushmore

We woke up early in Nauvoo Sunday morning.  Our original plan was to just drive on to Colorado...but, I had another idea.  I plead the case that we were sooo close to South Dakota (12 hours drive) we should just go to Mount Rushmore - when else would we ever get a chance to see it??!  I'm so glad Tj is so willing to go along with all my crazy ideas :)  I love that man!  The kids were whining like crazy when they heard what I wanted to do.  Too bad they don't have a say!  We left Nauvoo around 8am and got to Mount Rushmore about 9pm Sunday night.  The drive was beautiful - we live in such a beautiful country and I am so glad we did this drive and got to see so many beautiful sights.  We drove through the Badlands of South Dakota, we joked they were the "misbehaved" lands.  It was good times!

Monday morning we woke up and headed out to Mount Rushmore.





The kids ended up loving it there.  I'm so happy they enjoyed it - because it was about a 17 hour detour to our trip - yikes!  We walked around the park, took a tour from one of the guides and looked around the museum and watched a movie there about the man who had this crazy idea to carve huge heads into the side of a mountain.  Then it was back to the car for the 8 hour drive to Wyoming to stay with the Lionbergers!



No comments: