Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pressure canning

I have been wanting a pressure caner/cooker forever!  I remember about 5 years ago looking into one and just not wanting to spend the money.  So, I started searching craigslist almost monthly and have never found a thing.  Well, for my birthday this year (which hasn't happened yet) TJ  I bought me a caner!!  It's an All American 21.5 quart pressure caner cooker.  All of my friends down here in FL, can meat.  I wanted to get in on that action too!  Friday night we went to our friends house and they helped me can my first batch of boneless, skinless, chicken breast.  It was awesome!!!!!  I now have 14 quarts of canned chicken ready to eat.  I started with a 40lb box of chicken and only had a couple of breasts left.  Yes, we buy 40lbs of chicken at a time!  I had just been freezing it, but of course have started to run out of room in my freezer.  We get our boxes from a restaurant supply company and we pay $52 for 40lbs - so about $1.30/lb.
 Putting the first jars in the caner!  I was a little nervous the first time - it makes some noise and I kept imagining the lid blowing off and blowing the kitchen up - but everything went perfectly!
My beautiful canned chicken :)  Yes, it does look like canned brain like TJ says.  It tastes great though!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

AWESOME!!!! How did you find a restaurant that sells chicken to the public like that? Now if only I had the shelf space for canned chicken. What a great food storage addition!

Unknown said...

People here can MEAT too. I think its awesome. I haven't YET learned that skill- although I DO want to. AWESOME!