Monday, February 8, 2010

Volcano science experiment


On Tuesdays and Thursdays we do science. The kids got this flask with different experiments at Chick-fil-a one day. Instead of trading in the toys like they do all the time for ice cream, I told them we needed to keep this one. We did the exploding volcano and the kids loved it. We have been homeschooling for about 1 month now and it is going so good. We are all loving it. I am grateful for the extra snuggle times we get and that my little boy is back to being sweet and happy! It's funny, TJ and I use to think we just had average kids. Now I realize that public school was making them "average." Tyler is 100x smarter than I ever thought. It's just amazing how much he has learned, and the kid can memorize like nothing I've ever seen! We have never worked on the U.S. states before. He just likes looking at the map on the wall. For Christmas my
sister gave him flashcards of the states (examples above). One Friday I pulled them out and decided we would start memorizing states and capitals. I pulled the first card out thinking he was going to need a lot of help on these - I mean look at those tiny states! My jaw dropped to the ground when he knew every single state. He didn't miss one! We showed TJ the flashcards on Skype one night - he couldn't even get every state right! There's no way I could either. He has memorized many scriptures, articles of faith, poems and on and on. I can't begin to tell you how much he has memorized. I have one smart little cookie :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dare I, a public school teacher, say this.....Hooray for you and homeschooling! Your comment on public school making him average really hit home with me. I think it is TOO true. I see it with the really bright and gifted kids in my classes. Try as I might, it is so hard with 24 kids in a mixed ability class to give them what they individually need.

As I go off to school today I am going to look at my kids a bit differently today! Thanks you to you!

Great job and keep it up.

Unknown said...

Thanks Cin! As I was thinking about this post last night, I couldn't sleep worrying that what I had said would come off the wrong way! I didn't mean any offense to public school - heck, I might even put my kids back in public school one day - I don't know. I just meant exactly what you said - teachers have too many kids to try and get each one to reach their maximum potential. I commend you for doing all you do for those 24 kids!

Jenn said...

I'm so happy he's doing so well :)

Deborah said...

It's amazing what "one on one" learning can do for a child. I can't tell you how happy I am for you!!!!!!!!!

Adrienne said...

Hahaha, I remember when we were discussing this you were like "And I'm not doing it because I think my kids are super bright or anything, it's not. They are very average." I just had to laugh at your unassuming humility. I am so glad you are finding joy.

Unknown said...

Hooray! I'm happy that everything is going so well! :)
Don't erase me from your invites... I still want to check your blog :)